On Monday, the Supreme Court announced a decision to take down a controversial website for posting “insulting” and “hateful” images of a woman’s face.
The decision to block The Daily Stormer, a white nationalist website that hosts thousands of posts about race, was the latest in a series of legal actions by conservatives in the country over the last year to push back against the rise of social media platforms like Twitter and Facebook.
The court’s decision comes as the administration of President Donald Trump has moved to clamp down on some online speech by removing a number of conservative websites, including The Daily Caller and Breitbart News, which published posts critical of the president.
In his statement announcing the removal, Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg said The Daily Post, which has had a presence on the White House grounds for decades, had published “insults, insults, and hateful comments that were meant to demean the office of the presidency of the United States.”
The Justice Department’s decision to shut down The Daily Mail, a tabloid run by former British Prime Minister David Cameron, was criticized by many liberals.
“The Daily Mail and Breitbart are a major source of content for the alt-right and the anti-Semitic hate-mongers who are peddling their hate,” Sarah Kliff, a legal scholar at the New York University School of Law, told CNN.
“These sites are a danger to free speech and a danger for free press.”
A number of liberal advocacy groups had filed a lawsuit in 2016 against The Daily News, claiming that the site had published articles that were “hate speech.”
The Daily Telegraph, a British tabloid that was owned by the family of British Prime Minster Margaret Thatcher, also had a history of publishing articles that “discriminated against women, racial minorities, and the disabled,” according to the New Republic.
“For the first time in decades, a public court has taken a stand against white supremacists, who are using social media to incite and intimidate against journalists and the public, and for doing so in a way that the First Amendment protects against,” Andrew Napolitano, a former deputy attorney general in the George W. Bush administration, told the Washington Post.
“It’s time to get the WhiteHouse out of the way.”
A spokesperson for The Daily Beast, the website run by journalist Ben Smith, told HuffPost that the news site is “not going to be commenting on this.”
A spokeswoman for Breitbart News did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
“While this decision was a long time coming, we have been working for years to improve the experience of our readers, and we will continue to be here in the fight to protect free speech,” Breitbart News’ founder Steve Bannon told CNN in a statement.
“We have worked with the Justice Department to ensure that we continue to protect our free speech rights, and as a result, will not be commenting.”
Earlier this month, the Justice department announced it would not pursue a criminal case against the owner of the Daily Mail.
The Daily Star, which also owns The Daily Dot, said it was “committed to defending freedom of expression, but will not comment at this time.”
The Associated Press reported that the Justice Departments decision came after a three-week review of The Daily Sun, Daily Mail & Daily Star by the Department of Justice.
“Although the Department cannot pursue criminal charges in this case, we believe the First amendment protects the right to express opinions and beliefs,” Justice Department spokesperson Sarah Isgur Flores said in a press release.
“This decision does not alter that fundamental right.”